Thursday, July 16, 2009

Reflections of Mission Trip to Kenya (by Debbie Mercer)

I rejoice that I was able to see God’s Hand in all the happenings of the trip. God is strong and mighty to save. His Hand is not short or unable to perform great works!

I was uncertain about stepping outside of my comfort zone. I had many try to discourage me from going. Yet I knew deep down in my heart, God was calling me to go. This took faith and throughout the entire trip, with each step, faith increased.

These are some of the things I will especially remember and treasure:

- Tears pouring from my eyes as I witnessed many people stepping forward for salvation on the first night of the crusade

- My first glimpse of a small boy with no shoes walking around in the muddy, trashy mire

- The friendliness and acceptance of the Kenyan people. I especially bonded with the first grade teacher during the VBS classes.

- I loved participating in the praise and worship with the Kenyans at their church and during the crusade. They worship wholeheartedly and show great joy. It struck me how they could be so joyous while the surroundings were nauseating. What a great reminder of how God rescues us from the filth of our sins and cleanses us. Why not worship with great joy?

- As we participated in street evangelism, the divine appointments that only God could have orchestrated. On two different occasions, as we were witnessing to someone who was already a Christian, another person came over who was not. This resulted in one of them accepting Christ and the other one considering it yet unwilling to make a decision at that moment.

- The many children who seem to take care of themselves. Responsibility is thrust upon them at an early age. The poverty is overwhelming and assaults all of your senses at one time. One child held tightly to my hand and I could hear her saying the sinner’s prayer on the last night of the crusade. How this touched my heart and how I pray for this unknown child!

- The harmony of our team as we prayed, worked, and lived together. How awesome it is to see Christian brothers and sisters care for each other. The work went on even when sickness threatened to slow us down. I also know that Daryl has the potential to be a great evangelist one day!!!

- This has changed my life, making me so much more appreciative of living in the USA, having a loving family, and the basic necessities of life. I am very rich and realize that God has blessed me for a reason. It is all His and giving should be top priority.

- The encouragement and prayers from home were felt and appreciated so much. God answered prayers in a mighty way!! And how he delighted us with His beautiful creation as we experienced the safari at Massai Mara.

All Christ asks of us is to abide in Him. “And greater works than these shall ye do; because I go to the Father.” We have a wonderful future. We have a future of unlimited power to bless others. Just be channels. Be used. God’s power in believing man will accomplish much! Yes, to God be all the glory!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Debbie - you touch my heart with your words (and yes, I cried). You have been such an inspiration to me so many times since we became church members together - thank you for your humble servant attitude and your continuing service to OUR KING! LU4ever

    ReplyDelete