Saturday, July 25, 2009

Reflections (by Ken Mobley)

It’s hard to put down in words in a short blog what such a tremendous trip has meant to my life. Although a short time in my lifetime, the lessons learned and blessings received will last always.

During a brief moment before leaving the van at the crusade one afternoon, I looked over at another team member and remarked “how will we ever describe this to everyone back home?”

The gathering of hundreds of people in what we would call deplorable conditions. Muddy or dusty ground with a landfill just behind the stage…and yet, here they were…all waiting to begin to worship God. The music would start and the crowd would begin to sing and dance to the Lord. A cloud of dust around us did not slow anything down. The singing and dancing was intense and glorifying and only stopped when it was time for the word of God to be preached. Each and every night, God showed up in all his glory. This is just one instance of God’s presence on our trip.

Laughing, smiling, and dancing children…singing to our Lord Jesus, bringing blessings to us as we listened and watched. They didn’t know what they didn’t have, all they knew was a song in their heart and smile on their face. …another blessing we received.

It seemed at every turn we were the people receiving blessings, although we were on the mission trip. I wonder now just what mission we were on, one to help Kenyans, or one to find ourselves. I kept finding myself thanking God for all the people I met, tasks laid before me, new friends who were working by my side, and Christ for making this all possible. Even as I write these reflections, I have to stop and give thanks for the memories that will last a lifetime.

It was hard to leave the mission area not knowing the fate of all the children we came in contact with. Our faith is tested by leaving it up to our Lord. We can only pray now that they are okay.

It seemed fitting to end the week on safari. The wide open rift valley was a site to see after the tight fitting streets of Lucky Summer. What a mighty God we serve who can show his creation in such vast and different ways.

Thanks to all my fellow missioners for their prayers and work. It was great getting to know all of you guys better. It’s awesome to have such dedicated Christian friends as you. God bless all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment